Super Eagles: Libya Should Be Banned From International Football – Ikpeba

I

Ikenna Ngere

Super Eagles: Libya Should Be Banned From International Football – Ikpeba

Victor Ikpeba has called for Libya’s suspension from international football, condemning the country for the alleged poor treatment of Nigeria’s Super Eagles upon their arrival for the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier.​

Naija News reports that the Super Eagles have been stranded at Al Abaq Airport since they arrived in Libya on Sunday for the match against the Mediterranean Knights.

Captain William Troost-Ekong has hinted that the team may boycott the match due to these conditions, which the players and officials claim are unacceptable.

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has already issued a formal complaint to the Confederation of African Football (CAF), protesting Libya’s handling of the Nigerian team.

Ikpeba, who is currently in Libya with the Nigerian delegation, criticized the situation, asserting that Libya should be sanctioned for their actions.

He also questioned CAF’s decision to allow Libya to host matches, given the security risks.

If CAF know their job, Libya ought to be banned from international football.

“CAF are not mindful of the safety and wellbeing of players across Africa.

“This is a high-risk country and one really wonders who approved for Libya to be playing their games at home
,” Ikpeba was quoted by SCORENigeria.

Reflecting on his decade-long career with the Super Eagles, Ikpeba noted, “I played for the Super Eagles for 10 years and I never experienced what I have in Libya in the last hours.

Meanwhile, Naija News understands that the Super Eagles players and officials are set to leave Libya after been held hostage by the North African country authorities for over 14 hours.

This was disclosed in a post on X on Monday by Super Eagles player, Bruno Onyemaechi.

The post Super Eagles: Libya Should Be Banned From International Football – Ikpeba appeared first on Naija News.

Back